Is your puppy chewing your shoes, baseboards, or wooden chair legs? It’s normal but, you can’t just let it happen.
Just like humans, dogs need to keep busy or they will get bored, frustrated and inevitably they will get into something that gets them in trouble.
Providing activities like chewing an edible Chew or Licking a Lickimat will tremendously help stimulate & develop your puppies brain, it help them quickly calm down after a long day, and it's the best way to create a healthy habit.
In this blog we want to show you how to solve your puppy chewing problems and what to do to prevent your dog or puppy from chewing in the future.
1) NEVER CORRECT/PUNISH YOUR DOG/PUPPY FOR CHEWING. EVER.
- Chewing is a natural behavior for dogs. It isn’t something they do out of spite or when they get mad at you.
- You should NEVER correct your dog for doing any natural behaviors. You have to be smarter than that.
- You need to figure out how to provide your dog with an outlet for doing this natural behavior without ruining your furniture.
- Punishing your dog for chewing is the quickest way to kill their confidence and create a fearful dog.
2) THIS IS WHAT YOU SHOULD DO INSTEAD OF PUNISHING FOR CHEWING?
- Provide outlets for your dog to chew. Daily. Not just every now and then when you notice your dog is chewing on the furniture. Make it part of your dog’s daily routine. This is the only way to ensure the chewing stops in other areas & in the future. If your dog doesn’t like the chews, find something he/she does like and don’t stop until you do.
- If you provide edible chews for your dog, you will do more than save your furniture. You’ll also create a mentally healthier and calmer dog.
- Your dog needs daily stimulation outside of playing with you and his doggie friends. And giving your dog an edible chew is like giving them a movie to watch!
WHICH EDIBLE DOG CHEWS ARE THE BEST & LAST THE LONGEST?
First we want to mention that we DO NOT RECOMMEND raw hide chews. Raw hide chews are very bad for your dogs/puppies and if you want to read more about why you shouldn't give your dog rawhides, 👉🏼 tap here 👈🏼
We recommend providing chews that last a long time, can't be swallowed in one bite and doesn't break off in shards or small sharp pieces that can harm your dog.
Below is a list of the edible Chews we recommend for puppies and dogs of all life stages